Event ‘Climate change, youth and human mobility: an example through the case of Arsi, Ethiopia’
26 January 2023 |10 am to 1:30 pm | Impact Hub Barceló | C/ Serrano Anguita, 13 (Madrid)
Drought, erratic rainfall, disease, poverty… The sum of all these factors is leading to increasingly precarious living conditions for the people of Arsi, Ethiopia. Many communities depend on agriculture and the consequences of climate change are increasingly devastating for land and livestock. Migration is one of the answers to this problem, especially among young people, but is there another way to improve the living conditions of these communities?
This will be discussed on Thursday 26 January at the event ‘Climate change, youth and human mobility: an example through the case of Arsi, Ethiopia’. It will start at 10 am and can be attended in person at the Impact Hub Barceló (Madrid) or online*. Continuing with the collaboration initiated in 2021 to analyse the relationship between human mobility and different triggering factors, Ayuda en Acción and the Institute on Conflict and Humanitarian Action-IECAH will present the conclusions of the report carried out throughout 2022 on the impact of climate change on human mobility in Arsi (Ethiopia).
10:00 – Welcome.
10:15-11:00 – Opening panel:
- Fernando Mudarra, CEO of Ayuda en Acción.
- Francisco Rey, Co-Director of IECAH.
- Antón Leis, Director of the Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation (AECID).
11:00-12:30 – Discussion panel
- David Perejil, IECAH researcher and co-author of the report.
- Elena Bravo, Head of Prevention and Evaluation Unit Head of the Humanitarian Action Office (AECID).
- Ermiyas Tadesse, Programme Director of Ayuda en Acción Ethiopia.
- Moderator: Gabriela Sánchez, Managing Editor of Desalambre of eldiario.es.
12:30-13:00 – Questions and comments.
13:00-13:30 – Networking Coffee.
*The event will have simultaneous translation Spanish-English.